Sunday 23 July 2023

Multi-purpose Music

So these past two months I've noticed how music has been a powerful tool in helping me in times of increased emotional activity.

Firstly, when I was super stressed and on my field trip, it helped me cope and keep on functioning.

Recently, I have noticed how it's boosting my mood just that bit further when I am already in a good mood.

Looking back, I have understood the power of music for a while now, but I have now noticed something else.

In the past, I linked different types of music to how I was feeling at the time. 

For example, when I broke up with my ex the band 'Lycanthia' was very important in getting me through that night of emotion. They are classified as "Death-Doom-Metal" according to their Youtube page. 

Another example would be having a very stressful meeting during my Master's degree. I came out of the meeting feeling dumb and that everything I had done was not good enough (thankfully this was not a supervisor, just a unit coordinator). After the meeting, I went and sat in my car and listened to my favourite Eurovision song for that year, which at the time was 'Under the Ladder' by 'Melovin'

One more thing I noticed was how 'Linkin Park' made me feel better and appreciate what I have in my life.

And of course, music has helped me to write too. However, the genres have always been different.

Back to current times, what I have found interesting is that it is the exact same playlist that helped me through my anxiety and is also what is further boosting my mood now. This playlist is a bit of a mix, but the fact it is the same set of songs has piqued my interest. 

Has anyone else noticed the music they gravitate towards when they are experiencing different emotional? Is it the same genre or is it completely different? How does it affect you?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sparks?

Hello there... the angel from my... rainforest? My enjoyment of research has been partially reignited, probably only temporarily considering...