Wednesday 31 May 2023

The financial cost of education

It's June now. Which means my university debt (HELP or HECS) just went up because of indexation.

Here is what indexation is:

"There is no interest charged on HELP debts.

However, indexation is added to your debt on 1 June each year.

Indexation is applied to your debt to maintain its real value by adjusting it in line with changes in the cost of living."

- Study Assist - Loan Indexation

This happens every year, however, this year the rate of increase was 7.1%. This is the highest it has ever been over the past 10 years. 

See: ATO Indexation Rates

Having done an undergraduate degree and a postgraduate degree my debt is obviously going to be higher than the majority of the population that only does an undergraduate degree and then finds a job. 

As much as I would love a free education like back in Whitlam's (1970's and 1980's) or like it is in some Scandinavian countries, I can accept that there are costs to getting an education and I am thankful that as an Australian citizen from a low socioeconomic background I am still able to go to university by getting a loan from the government. 

I can also accept to some degree that the longer it takes to pay off a loan the more it goes up. However, the amount it goes up by, specifically this year is quite ridiculous. 

Another thing I find unacceptable is when it is obligatory to make repayments. Currently you must start making repayments when you earn approximately only $5000* more than the minimum annual wage in Australia. To be fair, the less you earn the less percentage you have to pay off and vice versa, but I believe the minimum repayment income should be raised so people actually have a chance of not just getting out of debt, but also so they have a chance to invest in their future.

*This figure is APPROXIMATE

As a PhD student I earn below the minimum wage, despite being expected to work full-time hours, so I am currently not required to make payments to my loan. However, this year I made my first voluntary repayment. Not that it will reduce my debt, but rather keep it as it is.

**Yesterday my debt was 'y', I made a payment so my debt was 'x'. Today, after indexation is applied my new debt will be 'y' again. I can't afford to make a massive repayment, even the payment I did make is taking it straight out of my very limited savings. But if I did not make this repayment my debt would have increased to 'z'. 

**Where 'x' is the lower amount, followed by 'y', and 'z' is the highest amount.

I was debating with myself whether to make a repayment at all. Especially considering due to my disabilities and my carer responsibilities I may never earn enough to have to pay off my debt. However, I decided to be hopeful that one day I will be earning above the minimum wage and may even be in a position to apply for a home loan (with my partner, as a single income is rarely enough to buy any property these days). If I let my debt increase, I would not just have more to pay back in the future, but it would also affect any borrowing power I/we might have. 

Fingers crossed I made the best decision - that is being less well off now to be better off in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sparks?

Hello there... the angel from my... rainforest? My enjoyment of research has been partially reignited, probably only temporarily considering...